Most of the time, babies who have been breech for a portion of the pregnancy will begin to move their heads down toward the birth canal in the few weeks prior to delivery. On occasion they don’t! About 1 in 25 women experience having a breech baby in her closing weeks of pregnancy. In the Western medical world, this almost always signs you up for a C-section however it doesn’t have to.
If you know your baby is breech at week 30, please, please call your acupuncturist now! Acupuncture is the #1 treatment for turning a breech baby and you have your best chance the closer you are to week 30. That being said, I have had success even at week 37! Weeks 32-37 however, are the tops weeks where you will need to focus on this and there are many tricks and tools for supporting your baby in finding a new position.
1. Go see a chiropractor. A more fluid body makes for an easier move for baby (and more comfortable for mom, too!).
2. Spend some time crawling around on all fours. This will also loosen you up and get baby interested in moving.
3. Have your sweetie sing songs at the base of your belly! Babie’s LOVE sound and may try to follow it. Perhaps the whole reason baby positioned breech in the first place is because momma’s voice is so soothing and he/she wanted to be near it! You could also use headphones and play some gentle music with the headphones placed on your low belly.
4. The Breech Tilt! It’s best to do this when you feel your baby is really active and also preferably when you have an empty stomach. Lying on your back, position your pelvis approximately 12 inches above the floor. Try to do this 3 times a day for 15 minutes or so.
5. Homeopathy has also been known to help, try pulsatilla.
6. Moxibustion! This is a plant used in many ancient medicines and is highly recommended for turning a breech baby. Contact an acupuncturist who is skilled in this. Even the American Pregnancy Association recommends it!
6. Acupuncture, acupuncture, acupuncture.